INTERNS WANTED FOR 2103 SEASON
We are looking for two interns for Bow Hill Blueberries and Samish Flats Farm. As well as housing & stipend provided, you will be a part of the Skagit FIELD Program.
Skagit FIELD Program
Skagit County FIELD is an educational internship program that provides a young farmer community and diversified experience and which to study sustainable agriculture. Developed by farmers and the Skagit County WSU Small Farms Team, the FIELD program combines formal instruction with farm tours and off-site work days with associated farms.
More information on the FIELD Program and Musings from our 2012 Intern, Yadira can be found at http://skagitfield.blogspot.com/2012/09/field-program-musings.html
Training offered at Bow Hill Blueberries
See our facebook page for more pictures http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bow-Hill-Blueberries-llc/
- All facets of organic blueberry farming including:
- Tilth rejuvenation after long-term conventional practices
- Organic pest management
- Organic weed management
- Conversion from overhead to under canopy irrigation
- Field labor management
- Marketing & Social Media
- Packaging and distribution
- You-pick store & field management
- Value added production
- Agra-tourism Event Management
- Learn and practice local seasonal cooking
- Learn organic supply and feed store inventory and their uses
Training offered at Samish Flats
40 acres of Certified Organic land with 20×80 High Tunnel
- Independent organic high tunnel project
- Organic pasture management intensive grazing practices
- Creation and maintenance of habitat for migratory shorebirds with the Nature Conservancy
- Vertically integrated poultry process
- Raising and processing meat goats
April 1 – November 1, 2013 Flexible
40 hour work week with 2 consecutive days off until we hit the harvest, which will require more hours. Keep in mind farming is not a 9-5 job.
Housing available. Shared meals and Stipend TBD.
Coming Soon – Janelle Brinley’s 2012 Internship Musings